The dining room also got a makeover. While the red walls were really lovely as were the drapes, the house came that way (kinda - I repainted the red - it was super raspberry red before and I made it more bricky red called Segovia Red by Ben Moore) and we wanted to make our own. I found drapes online and had some customized to fit and then I customized the rest myself stapling them to cornices and adjusting widths and lengths. I had painted more test paints than you see on the picture below - jars of Benjamin Moore, Farrow and Ball and Sherwin Williams samples and none were right. I was looking for a french blue I had posted about that I saw in a french country house. I happened to go to Lowe's for some gadget and browsed their paint section and lo and behold I found a paint chip called French Blue Room and it appeared to be what I had been searching for so I tried it out and it was the winner! Glidden Diamond French Blue Room.
I probably put too many pics up but I want you to see every perspective. I walk through that room dozens of times per day and it really makes me happy.
I've been over at the Kingston house almost daily for the past few weeks painting and washing windows and some yard work. The place is fresh and sparkling now and I have a carpenter and a painter doing some repairs to the exterior. I found out that the septic system to the main house failed its test so I have to have a new one installed (gulp) and the oil tank is underground so that is being dug up and new tanks installed in the cellar. There'll be some scars to the landscape from these two projects but it can't be helped - hopefully just involving grassy areas and not many shrubs or trees. Here are some pictures of the empty house.
One final Before above - now look below - so much better!
And here are some pictures of what the yard is doing although it changes daily - these pictures are from last week and everything is way bigger and lusher.