Monday, September 29, 2014

Glen Magna Farm

A few days ago I needed to go to Danvers, MA to pick up personal items out of my husband's car that had been deemed a total loss by the insurance company.  He was out in Utah on business and I thought it would be a good reason to visit Glen Magna Farm in that same city while on this errand.  This Farm is now owned by the Danvers Historical Society which has restored its grounds and gardens to its former glory from the turn of the last century.  The estate was purchased to be used as a summer retreat by a wealthy shipping merchant named Joseph Peabody in 1812.  The house that came with the property was built in the late 1700s.  The estate remained in the family until 1936; it went into neglect and decline until 1963 when the Danvers Historical Society purchased it and restored it.  It is open to the public; the main house can be toured by appointment but the entire grounds can be explored for a mere donation of $2.00 everyday from 9 am until dusk (noon on weekends).


You enter into that tree - it's like a huge room inside - serene.
Going "into the tree"
I adore dahlias!

When I arrived around noon, mine was the only car in the parking lot and I had the entire estate to myself the whole time I was there - I was the only soul wandering wherever I wanted and I loved the peace and solitude.  

By the way, I have only viewed Danvers from my car while passing through it on the commercial route 1 all these years but discovered it to be a very nice small city with lovely neighborhoods and a delightful downtown as I drove all around it looking for the Farm.  I avoided route 1 and 95 for my trip home and took all back roads instead through Topsfield, Rowley, Ipswich, and Newbury into Newburyport before I got back on a freeway.  The fall colors were evident everywhere I went; leaf, marsh and pumpkin - gosh I love where I live!

This house in Danvers is ready for Halloween!
Pumpkin Pyramid at Connor Farms on Rte 35 heading out of Danvers.

Oh - and the sad car so forlorn at the collision center :(

No comments:

Post a Comment