Sunday, November 30, 2014

That Day In Pictures - Bonne Bell

I was a freshman in high school at Elko High in Elko Nevada in 1976.  Here I am, a cheerleader, middle left underneath the basketball hoop.  This is the year that I discovered and fell in love with Lip Smackers "Dr Pepper" flavored lip gloss by Bonne Bell.  I bought my first tube at PennyWise Drugstore in the Elko Shopping Plaza on the then east end of town.  Whenever I look at that picture, I can also smell Love's Lemon cologne which was my signature scent in those days. That was 38 years ago and I am still using Lip Smackers Dr. Pepper and have been just about every day of my life since then.  I think I was only without it during 1983 and 1984 when I was living in Chile, South America, serving a mission for my church.   What made me think to blog about the lip gloss is that I was putting on a hoodie sweatshirt a few days ago to go do yard work and something fell out of the pocket of the hoodie and onto the floor.  It reminded me how critical this product is to my well being and that the lip gloss had been in that hoodie since last spring when I wore it (the hoodie, and that particular tube) one last time before the weather warmed.
Freed at last from the hoodie pocket
I am not only fond of this product and this flavor, I am addicted to it.  Just ask my husband.  I reapply countless times a day.  When I get dressed in the morning and come downstairs, I take the 5 swigs of Hood Calorie Countdown chocolate milk and then I apply.  A few tubes sit in ceramic dishes on my desk, I have an emergency stash in my desk drawer, I have 3 or 4 tubes in my purse, one in my backpack, a couple in the door of my car, one always in my coat and if I am taking a walk or out in the yard, there is one in my pocket. One in the den where we watch TV.  When we are at a social gatherings, I slide one in whatever pocket I have on my person for quick and easy retrieval  and if, heaven forbid, I don't have pockets, a tube will go in my bra or my sock or my husband might have to carry one for me in his pocket.  A few months ago I was discussing with my husband what I would do if the company quit making Lip Smackers or even just the Dr. Pepper flavor and he suggested I order a year's supply at least.  So I went on Amazon and ordered 24 tubes - I don't think that was a year's supply but it's a start.  What I love about this product is first, the flavor, then the just right glossiness, that it makes my lips feel wonderful and it has the slightest bit of color to it giving my lips life without looking like lip stick or just plain shine.  It's perfect.  No other flavor that the company makes fulfills all of these requirements and believe me, I have tried them all.  I wear Bonne Bell to bed as well and even reapply if I wake up during the night but I use two other flavors that have no color to stain my pillow - vanilla or bubblegum.  Except for Maybelline mascara in the green/pink tube, I can't think of another beauty item that has endured 38+ years and is exactly the same formula (seemingly) or even around.
In desk drawer


In my purse

At the ready in the mudroom to apply just as I go out the door
That's how I feel about Lip Smackers Dr. Pepper





1 comment:

  1. I remember lip smackers and loved all my Bonne Bell products, your post brought back a wave of nostalgia and the scent of grape lip smackers in those nice chunky tubes. Loving your blog. :) Kris

    ReplyDelete