Sunday, November 23, 2014

That Day In Pictures - The Towel

 Wait, that's not a picture of a towel.  You're right, it's what I had for breakfast before church today.  Chocolate studded sourdough toasted, with butter, and Hood chocolate milk (the thick sugar free stuff I told you all about).  It made for a happy picture and a decadent way to start the Sabbath.  What I'm really here to talk about though is the Towel.

I was recently looking at pictures from a few Christmases ago and first my eyes went to my oldest and youngest children and then I remembered that those two had washed a mountain of dishes from a Christmas dinner that I and my middle child made.  Children doesn't sound quite right;  they are all 20 somethings.
As you can see, they weren't thrilled but that's how they grew up doing dishes.  That's how I and my 5 siblings grew up doing dishes.  We had the Towel.  Bath towels relegated to the kitchen where clean dishes found their way to air dry before being put away.  The Yellow House doesn't have a dishwasher, so for the 16 years we lived there, that's how it was done.  I find it endearing when I go to my children's  homes and I see they still use the towel even when one of them has a dishwasher.  One day not too long ago, someone was asking my son Heath, who lives in the Barn at the Yellow House where the dishwasher was and he replied "we have a Towel".  It cracked me up.  To this day, I prefer hand washing even though I now have 2 dishwashers in this house.  My husband is the exclusive user of the dishwashers and I am the hand washer.  When he goes out of town, he makes sure he turns the dishwasher on before he leaves because he knows it will be full of the same stinky dishes when he returns if he doesn't.  Or the same clean dishes that were there but he didn't have time to put away. I just don't think about the dishwasher.  I find using one more work than doing dishes by hand.  I called both my married kids tonight and asked them if either had washed dishes out on Towels and to my delight, they both did.
Gabe's house - light load today 
Heath's house - medium load
Some years ago, a woman came over to pick her daughter up from hanging out at our house and she saw the dishes out drying on the counter and she immediately piped "you use a towel too!" - like we had some special tool that others didn't.  Funny.  Here in my current house, I have upgraded the Towel to specially made drying pads.  I have purchased them for my kids as well to make dish washing more cheery and cheer.

Notice the new fangled drying pad? 
I'm pretty sure sibling bonding occurred using the Towel all those years.  
So PigNose, how did you feel about the Towel growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment