Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A Week On A Boat


 We spent the first 8 days of August this summer on a 60 foot catamaran, sailing all around the British Virgin Islands with four other couples; good friends from our old stomping grounds in northern CA.  I didn't really know what to expect from this trip - one of the women in our group planned the whole thing as a 60th birthday celebration for her husband.  We were happy to be on the invited list - and ready to relax and live in bathing suits morning until night.  We spent the first night in St. Thomas USVI as we all gathered and then we took a ferry the following morning to Road Town Tortola BVI to meet up with our boat, our captain and his wife/first mate/chef.
Below are pics of the five happy couples who shared in this adventure.
 Dan and Nicole
 Lance and Janene
 Ingrid and Rich
Ron and Janelle. That woman was the initial trip planner, photographer (she took 885 photos of the trip!) and all around wonderful person.
 Road Town - waiting for Noam and Dalit (our hosts) to pick us up.
 We were ferried in three loads - one for luggage and two for getting us to our boat.
 Our room.  In spite of how tight the area was, the bed was super comfortable and roomy and we had our own bathroom and shower.  Storage is everywhere.  The boat has six bedrooms with baths - one for the captain and his wife and five for the five couples.
 Our eating area.  We had three superb, and I mean top notch meals every day.  Dalit is a fabulous chef and we greatly anticipated every meal she prepared.
 Dan checking out our home for the next seven days/nights.

Every morning after breakfast, Captain Noam got out this poster map and told us where we would be going, what activities we would be involved in and where we would anchor for the night.  I loved having him and his wife plan our daily schedule.  They know every nook and cove.  We sailed for a few hours every day on the open sea and then we would anchor in two or three glorious coves to snorkel, swim, paddle board, kayak, explore on land or just lay on the boat and read.  We enjoyed wonderful conversations with our good friends and we grew to love and greatly admire Noam and Dalit, our hosts/crew.  They are a 30-something couple who met in college their second week of freshman year in a marine program in Tel Aviv, Israel and have been together ever since.  They are both highly trained and skilled, certified sailors and they have a treasure trove of knowledge and experience as well as a deep love and respect for the environment and the ocean and they speak Hebrew, Spanish and English fluently.  We couldn't have asked for better hosts.  Here they are below:
And now I'll just select some pics from the trip - I have all of Janelle's and all of mine but I won't post 1000 pics - just some shots to paint a picture of what it was like on our week on a boat (and in the water).
 Waiting for dinner to be served.
 Every night after dinner when the boat lights came on,  I went and sat with my feet in the water watching the tarpons and sting rays.

 Getting ready to anchor in another spot for lunch and water fun.



 Dan taking his turn at the helm once the sails were up.


 Home sweet home.
 Our boat - there are three bedrooms on each side.


 I wore a different bathing ensemble each day.  I like swim shorts with suits or tankinis so I can swim, eat a meal, or hike (and not worry about bikini waxing or jiggly thighs). :)

 Nicole is eating a terminte - Noam encouraged each of us to eat one because they "taste like mint" - actually, they taste like the smell of eucalyptus.

 The living room area on the boat - I don't think I sat in there once.
 Dan and his sun hat that I always make fun of.  Isn't that water color incredible.  The snorkeling was so fabulous - the fish life and coral down below - the brilliant color!  My favorite time was swimming a few feet above a sea turtle and following him as long as he'd let me.

 This was my dinner one night at the only restaurant we went to while sailing.  The lobsters in the caribbean are similar in taste but way larger and uglier.

Dan did his physical therapy three times a day - he's so diligent and disciplined!

 My man.

 We left the boat one night for a restaurant dinner - I wouldn't even take my bathing suit off and shower as the others did - I planned on night swimming right after - hence the cover up dress over swim suit.  At the restaurant, we were told to toss our sandals off and eat with feet in the sand.
 We toured the island of Anegada one day because our boat was being cleaned and refreshed so we had this guide in front here take us around in a safari type vehicle.  All of the BVI are hilly but this one - it is flat as can be, ugly and dry (he's taking us to a island lizard rescue) but the beaches are fabulous.
 That's Dalit in the foreground and Dan Man and me in the background.
Noam, Janelle, Janene and me.
 Parking here for a swim and over night.
 That was my spot up there when we were out sailing.
 Dan and Noam looking at google Earth.  I can't even see your knee scars Dan!





 Nicole
 Janelle

 I just loved all the different coves and landings we went to every day throughout all the islands that make up the BVI.  We went on a hike in those hills.
 One night I swam with the tarpons.  They just glided around my legs or ignored me.  They are huge and scary looking but totally harmless.

 Looking down at our boat from our hiking viewpoint.


 These caves were really fun to explore - I even jumped off a cliff after I snorkeled since I knew exactly what was below me under water.
Dressed to get on a ferry and head to the airport.
 Saying good bye to our boat, hosts and friends that left a little later than we did.

Carefree for a little while!

No comments:

Post a Comment