Sunday, January 7, 2018

Why Wait?


I'm referring to hot chocolate.  I lamented and shook my head as I listened to countless people talk about the huge snow storm we had last Thursday as the day they should be curling up and drinking hot chocolate or just drinking it period.  I heard this from several TV anchors and many people on FB and IG.  People, why do you need to wait for a cold, snowy day to partake of one of life's greatest and most easily attained pleasures?  Why wait for a storm?  Why not start every day with a huge cup of this nectar of the gods and flood your cells with happiness neurotransmitters, antioxidants and several other health advantages, both physical and mental?
I took a picture of my empty mug the morning of the storm just as I read another's wish for a cup of hot chocolate.   Like I have stated many times here on my blog and to those who know me, I drink hot chocolate every day regardless of the temperature or season or where I am in the world and have for most of my adult life.
Just so you don't think I am exaggerating about drinking hot chocolate wherever I am in the world, here's proof.  I took this picture a few months ago from a hotel room and sent it to Gabe and Pignose so they could see my brilliant solution for having my concoction in any hotel room that doesn't have a microwave or refrigerator.  I found a tiny electric skillet at a kitchen store that weighs next to nothing and I pack it in my suitcase along with my homemade hot chocolate blend, my red teflon whisk, my 3 cup capacity ceramic mug and an old teaspoon.  If there is a refrigerator, I stop at a store and buy some type of cold milk (dairy or nut) and if there is not refrigeration, I buy small boxes of shelf stable milk that do not require it.  I bet this sounds a bit loony but it's no less important or realistic than those who need and enjoy coffee making supplies wherever they go.  Hot chocolate simply fills my tummy and my soul, it's what I prefer to have for breakfast and afterward I go forth with optimism and well being.  Recently while staying at the house of a family member and after I had prepared and taken my hot chocolate in to another room to imbibe while I read my morning mail, this person asked my husband how I drink it every day and stay thin.  He replied that I don't sweeten mine with sugar and I most often use 25 calorie per cup cashew milk as the base.  Good cocoa powder has little fat, 10 to 20 calories per tablespoon and plenty of fiber.  If I use 2 cups of cashew milk and a glug of water (which is so delicious and tastes mild like milk, unlike almond or soy which taste too strong and un-milk like to my taste buds) at 50 calories, 3 slightly heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder at no more than 75 calories total if I'm really generous and no calories in my few teaspoons of stevia type sweetener, that's 125 calories at most (less than a cup of whole milk) and it fills my tummy to capacity and I drink it super hot so I can sip it slowly and make it last until all my morning reading is accomplished.  I feel like I have indulged in something incredibly rich and caloric yet I have not taken any sugar or anything unhealthy into my bod.  I'm asking you again, what are you waiting for?  Don't deny yourself hot chocolate while you wait for the snow bomb cyclone to hit as it did us.



Speaking of that storm, it was glorious!  We had a fully stocked refrigerator and larder, plenty of firewood just in case, thermostats turned up, movies on stand by, books to read, bird feeders filled to capacity so we could watch the hundreds of them flitting outside our windows and feeling satisfied because we were taking care of their needs, art supplies brought into the house from my freezing studio, nowhere we needed to go and a couple new cookie recipes to try to keep the kitchen even warmer and some treats for our bellies.


I made a different version of the peanut butter cup stuffed chocolate cookies I had made in December.  I made a tastier batter and added chocolate chunks along with the PB cup inside.  I also made a cookie called Chocolate Mountains which were also chocolate chocolate chip but with lots of walnuts too.  That's why you see two pictures of what seemingly look like the same cookie but if you look carefully, you will see the nuts in the first one.
 I also roasted several pans of vegetables (potatoes and onions not pictured) and sauteed some delicious wild salmon with a soy-maple syrup-orange marinade.


I worked on a couple mirror abstracts in the category of what I refer to as kindergarten art but find incredibly joy inducing and dark corner brightening and it was just a really comfy cozy cheery and cheer day.  Dan and Dane shared the snow day inside with me.  In the evening we watched two movies; Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and the Harrison Ford version of Sabrina.

(Our garage - my upstairs studio - brrr)
 The day after the storm it turned sunny but super duper cold - like unusually cold.  We've been experiencing a several week stretch of way below normal temperatures.  I love love love snow and winter but sub zero temps are a bit uncomfortable for everyone.
All kitted out to walk a block to the post office - you can't see the ear muffs covering my ears under my hat (thanks Gabe, I love this hat!).  10-15 degrees below zero with the wind chill.

 Tomorrow we are told that the temps will be back to normal levels and even above later in the week, like high 40s and even low 50s in Boston.  Whatever.  I've got all my winter projects calendared and this coming week I will paint a stair runner - a before and after is forthcoming!

 New abstract I completed recently hanging in the third floor stairway - it's a "potager" of color!
One more thing - when I was a child, I used to lie on the floor and imagine Beatrix Potter - like mice living in the walls and I envisioned a little door that I could open and look inside at their little table and chairs for eating, beds, couch and TV - you get the picture.  I spent hours in this little mouse world.   Well, when Dan and I were in the Canary Islands recently, we were at an outdoor market and one vendor had a table full of little mouse doors - I guess I'm not the only one who dreamt (or dreams) of baseboard mice dwellings.  Unfortunately, we do have mice in our old house walls and occasionally they get stuck and die and then the most unpleasant odor emits through the wall for days and days.  :(

To end this post - here's what I wore on my legs today to church - as well as a burgundy colored wool pencil skirt and a fitted plum/burgundy sweater jacket.  And a parka, gloves, hat, scarf and a fat wool throw to cover my legs as I drove to and from church  - it was minus two not factoring in the wind chill.  And it was gorgeous and sunny with cloudless blue skies - lovely!

1 comment:

  1. I shared with Patsy Smith your hot chocolate recipe, it’s been a life saver to her as she’s a diabetic now and denies all sweets strictly. Thanks for your good example!!

    ReplyDelete