Monday, October 27, 2014

I Believe (And a Recipe For the Best Oatmeal Ever!)


New Castle, NH   2:30pm
My heart was pretty full all weekend.  Near to bursting at times with joy.  I guess I just need to say that I believe in God, I know I am His daughter, that He loves me and knows me better than anyone.  I am so grateful to really know that.  I have recognized His hand in my life so many times I can't number them.  Because I feel this way, I try to be a good girl and live in a way that demonstrates my faith in Him and His eternal plan for all or us.  I'm not trying to be preachy, I'm just sayin.  It was a special weekend for our extended family and I think we all felt joyful.  Dan and I also enjoyed having some wonderful guests with us in our home; they were a vital part of all the good stuff that happened.


Friends and Family after church
On Sunday morning before church, I made some steel cut oatmeal for our guests.  Actually, I started the oats the night before.  This oatmeal is fantastic!  Even if you don't like oatmeal and my husband does not, he liked this oatmeal.  He ate it again today - it tastes great all week reheated (not pasty, gummy at all!) so make a big batch and enjoy.  Here's what you do before you go to bed:


Steel Cut Oatmeal 

In a large sauce pan melt one Tbl. of unsalted butter.  Add one cup of steel cut oats and toast them on low for 5 minutes.  Add 3 1/2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil.  Turn heat off, cover with lid and leave as is on the stove top over night.  In the morning add 1 cup whole milk (you can use any kind of milk but I'm a whole milk believer for this recipe and others).  Stir well and heat until warm and creamy.  I served this to our guests with maple syrup, almonds, walnuts, honey, and golden raisins for mix ins.  This morning I took the leftover oatmeal out of the refrigerator, warmed it in the microwave and added real maple syrup and whole lightly salted toasted almonds.  It was marvelous! I found this recipe a year ago on the food blog asweetspoonful.com.

Right out of the refrigerator Monday morning - creamy, not gummy.

On Saturday, we took our guests on a loop of the seacoast from our home midcoast, south to Newburyport MA, over to a daughter's home in their little village along the loop and up to Portsmouth NH, into Kittery ME and back home.  I took a couple pictures along the way.  After, at home, I took some photos of the nasturtiums still going crazy out by the pool, even growing up into the mountain laurel and one of my favorite annuals, gomphrena - so cheery and cheer!

Grandkids and bubbles - happiness. 

Can you see the house (doubled) in the bubble?
New Castle NH
Look at that color and cemetery on New Castle Island.  You can see the Wentworth Hotel in the distance.
I mentioned in another post that I wanted more nasturtiums; they wandered freely
Nasturtiums climbing into the shrubs
Gomphrena or Purple Globe Amaranth - cut and dry and it retains color and shape all year




No comments:

Post a Comment