Sunday, October 26, 2014

That Day In Pictures - Postal Carrier


Rapallo, Italy
That's us above overlooking the harbor outside our hotel in Rapallo two years ago.  We were discussing our plans for the following day - to visit the Cinque Terre cliff towns.  Those towns are 5 villages built into the side of or atop cliffs overlooking the sea in the Gulf of Genoa on the Italian Riviera and accessible only but boat or train.  If you take a train, you hike into the towns and it's pretty steep to get to each one; that's what we did.  I'd like to tell you about someone in the village of Riomaggiore (I think that was the one) who has a pretty cool job - the postal carrier. 
Postal Carrier
We saw her delivering the mail as we meandered up and down tiny, narrow, twisty passages in that delightful town.  I stopped her and asked her about her job; she is the only mail carrier generally - I asked her if she liked her job and she replied that it was okay.  She was very kind to let me detain her, ask questions, and take her picture.  Obviously and I think this is a good thing, she gets a fair workout.  Her English was about as good as my Italian.  I imagine you get used to the following sights and take it all for granted but I was pretty enchanted by the prospect of walking that town everyday and knowing every passage, every doorway tucked here and there, breathing that air and taking in that azure blue sea. 

We are following her up those stairs





No comments:

Post a Comment