Thursday, February 19, 2015

Why I Need Winter

Dinner on Valentine's Day - the blizzard started on our drive home.
A friend of mine, Kristie J, recently posted on FaceBook why she loves winter, and really, all four seasons.  I totally agree with her sentiments.  I not only love winter, I need winter.  I am a manic gardener from the second the ground thaws and all through spring and summer and you won't find me indoors except when absolutely necessary.  But by September, I am so sick and tired of yard work I am ready to put it all behind me.  But I surely enjoyed the gardens all season.  And all the summer time outdoor activities, warmth, day trips and beauty.  And who could complain at all about our New England falls except for perhaps the leaf raking if you must complain.  But we are all relieved when our yards are neat and tidy and the hoses are put away. After the fall clean up, I am ready to let the snow pile up and be compelled to do indoor things, like home improvements, work on my indoor hobbies,  wear sweaters and corduroy, bake, read, watch more movies at home and in theatres, and then plan for spring and summer again.  If it weren't for winter, I wouldn't do any indoor painting or the little and big improvements, repairs and touchups that need to be done yearly to keep a home in good order and looking cared for.  And I'd never sit down either.  And I might not improve any possible skills or sleeping talents.  So I really need winter to do all this plus regroup and ease the wrist and hand aches I get from the intense gardening and just chill a little bit.  And watch all the birds at the feeders and walk on wintry beaches and all the activities you can only do when you have snow.  Shoveling is such a great workout.  And the short, occasional get-a-way trips to parts south if you need a wee escape from snow and a bit of beach and heat.  And only if.  By winter's end, I can barely contain my energy and excitement to get out in the yard and dig in the dirt, smell the dirt, and implement garden plans I made all winter and plant things I ordered and do it all over again.  And leave all indoor stuff and plans for the next winter.  Every season brings its singular activities and necessary chores.  I wouldn't enjoy as much the lack of structure and rhythm that a temperate year round climate would offer, but that is just my particular personality.  Don't get defensive.  It's all good.  We're all different and there's a place and climate for every one.  And I hope you live in the one most suited for you because I have a hard time around chronic weather whiners.  The other day I was in a waiting room at a doctor's office and one woman said this, "I am so sick of winter; I can't wait to start complaining about the heat and humidity".  I bit my tongue.

Winter stuff done or to do this week in no particular order:
The tiny game room/washroom between cellar and family room - getting ready to renovate it.  Gotta do something about that ceiling.  Spackled it yesterday.
An antique home that moves a lot during the winter needs occasional recaulking along ceiling and molding - check.
I just prepped that area for new shelves - this is how it looked before I started and you'll see the end results in another post
close up of the cracked old ceiling near the cellar and the pipes I need to hide
Painting lips for fun
Touch up painting in Dan's office
This bedroom door to the King room did not close uniformly; it just got stuck and needed to be planed and sanded - check!  When we bought this house, about 10 of the doors didn't latch or close all the way.  I don't know how the former owners stood that; they were all pretty easy fixes.  New hardware or some sanding.  Now they are all done.

Fixed; now it closes and locks - bippity! The closet door on the left didn't close at all when we moved in; it just hung open - yuck.  I fixed that right away but not the other door.  I don't know why I waited.
The snow in the pool area is up to the top of the 6 foot fence in parts - that whole fenced in area is filled up like a box.
 After the crazy high winds of the Saturday and Sunday blizzards, I went out to retrieve a long narrow bird feeder that had blown off a little tree and plunged into the snow.  When I did, a sparrow was stuck to the bottom of the feeder when I pulled it from the snow and had been out there like that all day buried.  I was horrified.  It was still alive so I took it inside and set the feeder next to the radiator and poured warm water between the feeder and bird to release it.  One of its wings was injured.  It warmed up and eventually started eating seed I set out for it.  After awhile, I took it back outside and found a shrub near the lattice around the back porch and cleared an area of snow within the shrub base and set it inside the shrub area.  It immediately hopped around from branch to branch.  I scattered a couple cups of food around the clearing so it wouldn't have to go far to eat.  I cried for the sparrow while I was taking a shower that night, worrying about it and what it had endured and might still be enduring.
Having a snack
Getting ready to go back outside

Dan snuck this picture of me when I was outside with the bird in one hand and the bowl of bird seed in the other.  Seconds later I would plunge into snow to my upper thighs and wade through it looking for a sheltered place to release the sparrow.
It's snowing again as I write this on Thursday afternoon.  Dan outside getting some exercise.
I love my snow boots; they make winter even more enjoyable.
My box of paint and caulk ready to work on the game room.  I plan to spray the paint on the repaired game room ceiling through the pipes where I can't get through with a paint brush.  Wicked Awesome Paints in North Hampton will make spray paint from any of your gallons or quarts of paint no matter where you bought your paint.  Great for narrow and hard to get to areas like behind toilets and on and behind radiators.  
I try to watch this series every winter - yes, the VHS set.  Colin Firth.  
Got my order ready!
Another winter project - rug hooking
And a cook book to read
Monday's painting 
Last year's winter sea wall down the street - I couldn't take a picture of the wall this year because I can't even see the ocean anymore when I drive down the road since the piles on either side are so high.  Not complaining,  just saying.  I am just so amazed at weather and the mighty power of winter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment