Thursday, April 23, 2015

Falling Slowly


The blog title is a bit misleading; it's just one piece of this week.  Dan and I are singing a duet at our ward (church) talent show on May 15th.  We've been practicing in earnest the last few days.  Our pianist is also performing her talent by accompanying us as she just recently learned this piece and performed it at a piano recital.   So we three are doing our bit together and I'm looking forward to all the performances that will take place that night.  Most of the performances you watch at these church events are highly entertaining but some can be cringeworthy and painful - I hope this isn't one of them (us, Kristie, not you - we are fully confident in your ability).

If spring arrived slowly this year, and it has, it is busting out and my son Dane and I (and Dan too one day) finished all the yard clean up over at the Yellow House to get it out of the way for all the fun to begin here in our own yard.  I now feel like I will be able to manage what gardens and plantings have been left there to carry on.  Sixteen years ago I planted 5 rambling roses in front of a fence that separates my old back yard from the yard of the little cottage that I rent out.  Over the years those ramblers grew so enormous they obliterated the fence and I could barely get in there to ever do any pruning so I let them go crazy.  Today it took us hours to chop our way into the painfully thorny jungle and we pruned them down to a few canes each and a foot or so high.  I can now see the fence and all the slats that need reattaching and nails that have popped up and need nailing.  I don't know how well the roses will recover from such brutal pruning but it had to be done.  I'll never let them get this out of hand again!  Here are a couple pictures of during and afters.
The roses in the background are a couple of those ramblers.
Here you see them from the other side of the fence.
We're about 3/4 of the way done here today in this pic
The sagging fence!  The roses pruned and thinned.  And you can tell the tenant in the barn there is an anglophile.
Remember the fence and rose enclosed vegetable garden that was here last week?  This is what it looks like now and we have covered it in grass seed.  I can't wait to take a picture when it has reverted back to lawn.  It was the right thing to do - I feel such a weight gone from my shoulders.

We had some rain this week too so when it was inclement outside, I painted some prettiness and sunshine inside.  Two pieces; one, a still life as realistic as I could paint it, and the other, a one dimensional, more primitive or folk art type.  Both are in the dining room on different walls right now where they will hang until we decide to move them somewhere else.  I also turned an area of our laundry room into a my "art" studio - cleaned out an armoire for all the supplies and then set up my easel.  I've been painting in the kitchen so this will work out better I think; a little more private and the light in that room is tremendous even on overcast days.  


This painting makes me smile - it is almost child like and so happy. 


Along with the yard work over at the Yellow House, and lots of painting and closet organizing here at home, and many other little and big responsibilities related to home and church and family, I've planted a few things here in the Rye yard; hellebores, a couple brand new roses (remember the Sweet Intoxication rose I discovered in Sydney Australia? - look at the final Aussie blog post - It's gonna grow in this yard - yay!), and a big box of dahlia tubers arrived from Swan Island Nursery that will be planted very soon.
This is Ebb Tide - look at that rich purple!  I took a pic of this one in a Aukland New Zealnd garden.  It will now grace our yard here.
Sweet Intoxication - I found both at Jackson Perkins. 
Now, to finish this post, I need to report about a restaurant they we have driven by countless times right down the street on Ocean Blvd, Route 1A but have never really noticed until recently so we decided to give it a try.  The Carriage House.  We could tell by the way the bartender, waitstaff and hostess spoke to people that this place has a ton of regulars.  Even the patrons seemed to know each other - we felt like outsiders.  Well, we will be back and they will know us!  The food was delicious!  And you get a view of Jenness Beach across the street right outside the windows.  We watched 18 surfers (Dan counted) ride the waves as we ate.  Dan had chicken saltimbocca and I had grilled haddock with a killer citrus shallot buerre blanc sauce.  The seafood chowder was so delectable and even in my tiny cup, I had full size shrimp and scallops along with fish and corn.  Again, we will be back!
cuppa chowdah - thin rich broth, loaded with seafood and corn - very savory!
Interior shot on the second level where we sat - the floor level looks completely different.
Jenness Beach across the street - the lack of verdancy will soon be rectified! 

It's just an old beach cottage converted in to a restaurant - very lovely inside with two levels of seating.  
Next week I will be in Utah for a couple days getting Dane back in college and settled in and then I head for Spokane where I will slave away planting gardens and painting rooms for my daughter while she is at work.   I can't wait - we will have a blast!!!

To end all this babbling, lovely things that bring cheer.  Burning in the entry way and making me yearn for May and carnations just being cute on the kitchen island.

2 comments:

  1. You should not be allowed to own another rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?!? But I will keep loving them and growing them wherever I live and I and my neighbors partook of their beauty at the Yellow House all those years! It's all good.

    ReplyDelete