Thursday, December 21, 2017

That Chocolate Frosting ...


I made a batch of chocolate frosting for a church event a couple nights ago, a recipe I had never made before but had found hand written, obtained from who knows where, on a yellow piece of note paper stuffed in my recipe file drawer. The title of the paper was "Amazing Chocolate Cake" with an accompanying frosting.  Anytime I see a recipe with the words "amazing" or "best ever",  I immediately resolve to try the recipe out and challenge the claim.  I again say that I do not know from whom or where I copied the recipe, and I usually note that and I regret that I cannot give that person credit for what is indeed, amazing frosting.  I have just a couple chocolate frosting recipes that I consider truly, truly delicious and I have partaken of too many inferior ones in my day as have many of you and judging from the dozens of requests I have received since my IG post of a couple days ago, we are all still looking for a really superior chocolate frosting to keep as our go-to.  Here is one such and I hope you agree.  And judging from the dozens of comments I received from unlikely vocal appreciators last night at the church event, some even shouted from across the room asking "who made these cupcakes?", the frosting was a hit and the cake too.  Without further ado, here is the recipe.  Good luck!

AMAZING CHOCOLATE FROSTING

3 sticks softened salted butter
8 oz. softened brick full fat cream cheese
1 1/2 cups dark cocoa (as in dutched, alkalized)
3 tsp vanilla
7-8 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream

Beat until fluffy the butter, cream cheese, cocoa powder and vanilla.  Beat in sugar and then add the cream to regulate the consistency - if it's too thick add more.  Beat all until super creamy.  This also can be put into the refrigerator for later use and then beat again after it comes to room temp.  Leftover frosting can also be frozen.  It's critical to use the dark dutched cocoa and heavy cream.  Don't use natural cocoa or milk.  This frosting is dense, thick, profoundly rich and flavorful - it just sang in my mouth - I couldn't stop exclaiming it or making everyone taste it.  

I also have one other frosting recipe that I want to share with you from Shirley O. Corriher's cook book "BakeWise" that is my other go-to recipe for an incredible chocolate experience.  I use this recipe when I make my giant "hostess cupcake" cake because it is so glossy like it needs to be and it's a frosting you can eat by the spoonful because the taste and texture are so incredible.   Just as you do not detect the cream cheese flavor in the above recipe, you do not detect the tanginess of the sour cream in this one.  I hesitated to make it the first time even as she was claiming how miraculous it is to eat and work with but her whole book is so excellent that I had to trust her and I've been making it since.  I did adapt it a bit - she calls for 12 oz milk and 9 oz dark - I use 10 oz milk and 11 oz dark.

LUSCIOUS, CREAMY CHOCOLATE ICING (SHIRLEY CORRIHER)

12 oz chopped up good quality milk chocolate (or 10 oz)
9 oz chopped up good quality semi sweet chocolate (55 to 62 percent) (or 11 oz)
Melt these two together very carefully in the microwave or on low heat in a saucepan on the stove top.

While these are melting, beat together in your mixing bowl 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tsp vanilla and 3 T light corn syrup.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups full fat sour cream.  Add the melted chocolate and beat on low until very smooth and beautiful.  If it's too thin (and mine never was) allow it to stand at room temp for an hour or so.  This has a dreamy, silky texture with a gorgeous shine.  

Here are a few pictures of the cupcakes made for last night's church event which was the annual "Young Women In Excellence" and they had chosen the theme "Lives Under Construction" so I made dirt dark, construction themed cupcakes and a work site.






I also frosted a batch of my delicious cocoa thumbprint Christmas cookies with the leftover chocolate frosting in lieu of the usual vanilla buttercream.  And while we are talking about good frosting, let me take this opportunity to share with you my most favorite and always used vanilla buttercream for any time you need a never fail vanilla frosting for anything you make.  


Here is the vanilla buttercream - don't lose this one - you will love it!  Credit goes to Julie Hasson and her 125 best cupcake recipe book.  

EASY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted softened butter
pinch salt (important)
Heavy cream ((don't use milk)

Beat the sugar, butter and salt together until creamy then on high speed until fluffy.  Add the vanilla and as much heavy cream as needed for the right consistency for your product.  This frosting is perfect with a rich vanilla and butter taste and ideal for sugar cookies, white cake and as a complement to a devil's food cake.  

A few more cake and cookie pictures for your viewing pleasure!

The three cakes below where made with a different frosting than the two I gave you that I tried out and I wasn't too crazy about but I decided to try it.  From now on I will stick with the first when I need a deep dark one and the second when I need a meaty, shiny one.

The frosting on this cake is the second one I gave you.



Happing Baking!!






No comments:

Post a Comment